To all who are visiting for the first time, please read this post to understand what this blog is about. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

DONA Workshop: Day 3


I'm really late with this post...life just gets busy!  The last day of my workshop was great, just as the other days!  We really focused on interventions and how doulas can help in epidural and cesarean births.  One thing I learned that I found really interesting is the "rest and descend" technique used when the mom has an epidural.  When the woman is fully dilated, the nurses/doctors say "ok!  Time to start pushing!"  And so much energy is wasted because the baby is still high up and the mom can't push as effectively since she has little to no feeling.  So the rest and descend technique allows the contractions to move the baby down until the head is visible in between contractions (on the perineum).  Since the mom usually doesn't feel the urge to push, she can just let the contractions do the work for her.

I had an amazing three days at the workshop with an amazing group of women.  It was so great to be with people who share the same passion as I do about birth.  I really wish I could start attending births right now...but it's just not going to work with me being so far along in my pregnancy...then having a nursing baby!  The earliest I'll start is January for my cousin's birth.  But that's not too far off, and it will give me time to read and study some more.

No comments: