To all who are visiting for the first time, please read this post to understand what this blog is about. Thanks!

Friday, June 25, 2010

DONA Workshop: Day 1


Today was day one of three of my DONA workshop.  A lot of the information was basically just a review of a lot of the things I've researched and read in the past 2 years, but I still enjoy learning and talking about it.  If I had to sum up the topics of the day into one sentence, it would be:

Birth is safe, interference is risky.

Childbirth is safe. Women have been having babies [relatively] safely for thousands of years.  Why is it that NOW it's treated as an illness and a lawsuit?  (More about that in a later post.) 

I have a passion for birth...if I didn't, I wouldn't want to be a doula.  But after today, I'm just worried that I won't have what it takes to be a good doula.  There is so much information to learn...so many things to remember during labor.  And on top of that, every situation and every mom is different.  THEN, you have to learn to say things positively and not overstep your boundaries...then there's the issues you have with the hospital staff and care providers who don't like you there because you don't "let" them do things their way (even though "their" way is not what the mom wants or may not be the best solution).  There's just so much stuff to remember...


I hope that the worry and the anxiety go away after I have some experience.  I know things will naturally get easier when I get some practice, it's just very intimidating to think about!


Well, that's it for today.  Tomorrow we're doing some hands-on stuff, which I hope will ease my fears a little bit.  Stay tuned!

No comments: